Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2017

100 Pages of Awesome - Flash 214


I love big, fat, thick comics.  They are hard to resist.  Almost every DC 100 pager I have I got back in the early 80's.  I would dig through the back issue boxes looking for the biggest comics I could find.  I mean there were the big 60 pagers, and the humongous 80 pagers, but for my money the Giant 100 pagers were where it was at.  And I picked them up for buck or two.  As a kid who just wanted to read comics, the 100 page comics offered a ton of material and the books had multiple stories.  

The first 100 Pagers were the part of the Super Spectacular series that had 19 issues in it, starting in early 1971 and running through late 1973.  These all had a DC designation.  Like the Flash here was DC-11.  Some of the books were stand alones, others were numbered into an ongoing series like the Flash here.  There were no issues 1-3 as the numbering starts at 4 and issues 4, 5, and 6 do not have the DC prefix.  The one thing all 19 of the Super Spectacular 100 Pages have in common is they are just a big collection of reprinted stories.  The Flash, featured here, does have one Golden Age Flash story that was never published.  In 1974 DC started putting out these 100 pagers in a lot of their titles and they contained original material.  Some of the titles only had one or two 100 pagers in the run, other like Justice League and Batman had 7 or 8.  I will say most of the 100 Pagers I have in my collection are well read, ahem, not in the most pristine of condition and that's pretty typical of these square bound books.  The spines really take a beating and the front and back cover stock tears  easily.  
The book has no ads and a sweet wrap around cover.  The front and back cover are counted in the page count, but still a hell of bargain for a kid 30 plus years ago.




1 comment: