Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Division on the Cheap -

I am waist deep in a massive organizational effort here at world headquarters. I just got another pack of 10 short boxes off of Amazon and finally think I'm ready for a big push.  The biggest issue is of course finding and collecting all the different issues of each title.  In the past I've invested in some of the high grade PVC comic dividers, but they are expensive.  I've also been recycling my old backing boards to make dividers, but I've run out.  So what's a frugal collector to do?  For many years I've been experimenting with various low cost options.  So far one of the cheapest I've found is using Manila file folders.  I bought this box of 150 file folders at Costco years ago for under $10.  
 Using one of my better PVC dividers as a guide I found a quick and easy way to fold the file folders in the to size I need.



 A little packing tape on the fold and bottom and you have a fairly stout divider.

 Then I print labels out using a 20 point size font.
 Another small piece of packing tape to affix the label and tada!
 While maybe not the most appealing dividers, they are cheap and do the trick.

4 comments:

  1. Amazon had a sale on plastic comic dividers a bit back ... $5 for a pack of 25. I bought a whack.

    Also, the mylar bags I buy have cardboard in the package to keep it rigid. A quick trim to create a tab and these work great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man I wish I could have found that deal. Looking right now it's like $16 bucks for a pack of 25.

      Delete
  2. Great idea. I dumped a bunch of used manila folders at the end of last school year. Never thought about cutting them up and using them for dividers. Although I keep all of the backing boards I've acquired and have used them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just happened to have a Costco size box of folders that have been laying around forever, but I would have much rather used old backing boards, which I did use all that I had.

      Delete