Pages

Saturday, October 7, 2017

Another new blog ung! Or how I got my first silver age Spectre comic


When I started my first blog, Collector's Crack over 8 year's ago I had intended for it to be an all encompassing collector's blog.  But over time it has evolved into more or less a trading card blog.  And then I branched out with my different collections.  From my player collections I created two new blogs, for me team collections I created 3 new blogs, for my obsession with Lego Minifigures I created yet another blog, and then I also have had blogs for my gardening and art.  And this year I've pretty much managed to ignore them all.  I've moved, had my gallblader removed, worked my butt off, and done a bit of traveling.  So blogging has really taken a back seat.  But never have I considered shuttering any of my blogs.  There was a time I was worried and fretted about putting out content on the blogs. Now not so much, but to be honest I haven't lost any followers, not like I go about unfollowing any blogs, even ones that have long since been retired.

So that being said I've decided to create yet another blog, focused solely on my comic collection and collecting.  I've been collecting comics as a hobby since I was 12 or so right around 1985. But that is another story.  I'm going to being this blog with some recent pick-ups.  And by recent I mean this afternoon. 

There was a small collectibles show in Anchorage this weekend.  And by small I mean less than 10 tables.  The show is really put on by the coin collectors society here, but they let in other guys to help pay for the space.  And as luck would have it there were a couple sports card guys and one lone comic book seller.  Steve who owns his own small collectibles business that he runs out of his home was there and from past shows I know he always has some killer vintage stuff.  I have a great story about when I first met him and he was showing off his Jackie Robinson bats, yes plural.  Anyways Steve had his vintage baseball stuff and a couple short boxes comics.  He also had some really nice stuff under glass that was way out of my price range.  I had only brought about $30 with me to make sure I didn't over spend.  I perused the boxes and we started talking comics and cards.  Eventually two comics caught my eye.  For different reasons.  The silver age Spectre comic just stood out.  It was the only one he had in the box and for $14 list price I couldn't pass it up.  Other than the yellowing of the white the book is really solid and complete.  The second book I saw was Spider-woman #1.  I recently decided to try and put a run together and I was looking for a #1.  Not only that it also was had a $14 sticker price and after looking at the book the spine was perfect and there only couple little dings in the corners and one small corner fold.  Sold.  After we stopped jawing I hand Steve my two comics and he offered both for $20.  The show's running one more day I really want to stop back by and look through the boxes one more time.  As I was getting ready to leave he mentioned he had a box under the table and anything in it was a buck a book.  And that's where I snagged the copy of Tomb of Darkness #22.  It's a little beat up, but I think it's a solid 5-6 and I can't pass up bronze age horror, even if it's just full of reprinted stories.

So welcome to my newest time suck.  Cheers
CB out.






3 comments:

  1. Nice haul. Oh and nice new blog. I loved Spider Woman. I have a few. Don't think I have a full run. Been a few months since I've gone through my comic boxes to add stuff to my "stash" (www.stashmycomics.com) I haven't added the box any of those issues are in. As I said a few months, OK Maybe a year year and a half. I was gung-ho on adding my comics to the my stash site. But I ran out of steam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started using MyComicPile years ago and then that became Comicbookrealm.com. I'm too lazy to try and reenter my collection anywhere else and I kind of gotten use to the interface.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to this new blog of yours! I love me some old horror comics, so I can appreciate you not being able to pass up that Tomb of Darkness.

    ReplyDelete