Pages

Thursday, November 16, 2017

The return of Strangers in Paradise.


If you're a fan of Terry Moore, like myself, you should be excited.  Terry recently put to bed the last issue of his current series Motor Girl.  At the same time he also announced the return of his masterpiece Strangers in Paradise.  For me SiP was a mind-opening experience.  I was introduced to Terry's work when I was at the 1997 Wizard World Comic Con in Chicago.  I was with a small group of my fellow artists that got together and drew comics in college and Terry was recommended to me.  So I stopped by his booth and picked up Vol. 1 of Strangers in Paradise. That night I read the whole thing in one sitting and went back the next day and picked up volumes 2 and 3 and when I got back to school added it to my pull list. 

The first day of the con Terry's booth was pretty packed, but day two it was easy to get up to him and when I went back to pick up the next two collected volumes I got to talk with him for a good 20 minutes.  To emphasis how impactful that was on a young artist that was over 20 years ago and I still have fond and vivid memories of that meeting.  And while my art has moved away from comics I still think Terry had a big influence on my style.  If you've never read anything by Terry Moore I can't recommend him more highly.  After SiP, Terry moved on to his SciFi book Echo, then on to his horror book Rachel Rising.  I'm excited to see Strangers coming back.  I just realized I really need to dig my old issues and collected works back out and reread them.

If you don't live near a comic shop, Terry is offering a subscription service with a limited edition black sketch variant.  You should also be able to order individual issues off his website.  But help a brother out and add it to your pull list if you're lucky enough to have a LCS.

1 comment:

  1. Not familiar with Mr. Moore or any of his comics, but it'd be cool to get one of those variant sketch covers and commission him to do a quick sketch. In fact... I don't have many comic book goals. But one thing I would love to one day own is a sketch cover with one of my favorite comic book characters drawn out.

    ReplyDelete