Pages

Thursday, November 2, 2017

New Comic Book Day November 1st, 2017


While my tastes are generally more focused on my bronze age collection, especially horror, I still dabble in new stories and comics.  About 5 or 6 years ago I still had a pretty deep pull list at my local LCS, Boscos, here in Anchorage, Alaska.  But I was getting to the point that I had no time to read everything I was buying and prices for new issues just kept going up.  In the end I had to cut the cord and went cold turkey.  I focused my attention on my sports card collection, but occasionally picked up a few new books or back issues when I found good deals.  Fast forward to earlier this year and I joined a fun group on facebook called simply Comic Book Collecting and my interest started to be renewed.  I've since joined a few other comic book groups.  Factor in my general malaise in the sports card hobby due to lots of things, but mainly the industries exclusivity deals, the general trend of hit oriented higher end products, and that I'm a Brewers fan and the team really gets no love.  Add to that a dash of I just bought a new house with a room to call my own and I was able to break all my comics out of storage and have access any time I want.  Well lets just say I've hit my second collecting wind.  I decided that I would not be putting a pull list together.  It's risky, but I've been trying to get to Boscos when they open on Wednesdays to get the new issues I want.  It also helps that there are some great websites and resources for researching and tracking your collection.  Plus so many places to potentially buy from.

Ahem, but this was about new comic book day.  

I decided to jump on the Dark Nights Metal bandwagon a little late and missed issue #1 of Metal and the Forge, but I have them coming.  So I've been picking up the other issues and one-shots and tie-ins.  I like binge reading anyways.  Much like watching a good show on Netflix, being able to read a large chunk of a story line is what I like.  I'd rather save up 3 or 4 issues of a series and be able to sit down and enjoy an uninterrupted story.

Anyway, I picked up the new one shot: Batman - The Devastator and the Flash tie-in from last week.  I missed the Justice League tie in some how, but I'll grab that on my next visit.




I also picked up issue #2 of Batman: White Knight.  I doubt I'll pick up the full 8 issues, most likely I'll grab the trade when it comes out to complete the story.
 I have an addiction for first issues.  I also always loved Black Lightning.  I opted for the variant cover. 
 Deadman #1.  I doubt I'll pick up the full run of either of these as well.  It's hard to budget for 4 and 5 dollar comics continually.
 I also grabbed a couple Image #1's.  The Grave Diggers Union, foil cover.  So Comic Book Realm has this copy at $75 as a retailer incentive, Bosco's had a couple mixed in with the regular issues, so I think that pricing is unrealistic.  Plus every gold foil variant I've seen from Image is just an extra cover put on the book with the regular cover underneath.   But I'm a sucker for gimmicks.  That's also why I grabbed that Deadman #1 glow in the dark cover.
 The last book I picked up was the #1 No.1 with a Bullet.  Just an interesting cover and like I said I have a #1 addiction.
 I didn't get a chance to read any of the issues yet, with daddy duties last night and game 7 of the World Series, but I'm hoping to get a few in tonight.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Comic books are $4 and $5 now? That's insane. If I ever do get into comic book collecting, I'll definitely stick to the 25¢ comics at the flea market.

    ReplyDelete