Pages

Sunday, July 7, 2019

TKO Presnets - Garth Ennis' Sara: A Review

 A few months ago I started seeing mentions of Garth Ennis' Sara on some comic book groups on Facebook.  I'm a huge Ennis fan and pretty much if it's got Garth's name on it I'll pick it up and give it a try.  I had never heard of TKO comics before, but they were easy to find on the internet.  They have a very nice website.  As I write this TKO only has 4 titles available, with another 4 due out sometime this summer.  All titles are offered in 3 ways. You can read them digitally, as a trade, or as individual issues.  For Sara I decided to pickup the individual issues, mainly for their collectibility.  Shipping is reasonable, but slow as they come media mail and living in Alaska means that can take 2 to 3 weeks, but the set arrived well packaged.  The individual issues come in a box set that is very nicely decorated.  The back of the box is a piece to a larger mural that can be put together with the rest of the TKO wave 1 box sets.
 First off Eptings covers are incredible as well as his interior art and Breitweiser's colors.  I won't spoil the story, but will say it revolves around a company of female Soviet snipers during World War II.  If you've read and like Ennis' other war stories you like this this series. I know I did.
 Here's a look at the cover art.


 This one's my favorite cover.


 The one thing I wasn't aware of when I ordered the individual issues was just how much larger they are than the standard size comic.  TKO doesn't hide the fact on their website I just overlooked it.  They issues measure 7 inches by 11 inches.  The only draw back is I have no way to store them other than in the box they came in.  Don't let that deter you from choosing this option the comics are printed on very nice stock and are absolutely beautiful.
 TKO recently had a BOGO event on their website so I took the opportunity to pick up both of co-founders Tze Chun's offerings.  This time I opted for the collected editions. They're a little cheaper than the box sets.  The only draw back is that the covers are not included in the trades.  So I'm glad I picked up Sara in single issue format, as I would have hated to have missed out on those covers.
I still need to sit down and enjoy these too, but I'll do a review of each after I do.  And I'll most likely eventually pick up the whole TKO catalogue especially if they keep doing BOGO's. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm a huge WWII fan... so I'm looking forward to reading your reviews on the individual comics. But just based on the covers, this series looks pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete